Thursday, February 17, 2011

Where I'm From

Where I’m From
I am from the smell of a home cooked meal when I enter the house,
the laugh of my brother as we run from the dishes.
the holler from my mom as we hit the couch. 
The laugh of my dad as we clean the pots and pans.

I am from the smell of fresh cut grass as I play football.
The cheers of joy as we take the field,
The moisture of the sweat dripping down my face,
The sounds of excitement as we win the game.

I am from the smell of the morning dew as I climb my tree stand,
The grunt of a deer as it moves slowly past me,
The hoot of an owl as it lands next to me,
The scattering of a squirrel as it digs below me.

I am from the smell of wax melting in church,
The joyful music as the choir sings,
The grace of the priest as he preaches the good word,
The reverence of my father as he prays for all.

I am from the smell of hard work as I dig another hole,
The sound of a mower as I cut more grass
The clanking of silverware as I set the table,
The swishing of plastic as I sack the groceries. 

I am from parents who love me,
A brother who cares for me,
A sister who inspires me,
And a brother who looks after me.

This is where I am from,
without these I would not be me.

4 comments:

  1. Lovely poem. I like how you stuck with one idea for each stanza and how each stanza tells a story. Well done.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This poem is great! I love the last stanza about your family.. so sweet!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love how I could imagine the things you wrote about. And I like how the stanzas are details about a common topic. And where is your background picture of?? Wherever it is, I want to go there! So gorgeous!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I really enjoyed your "Where I'm From" poem. You had a new story in each stanza with great imagery. I also love how you chose to end the poem. Incorporating all your family members and then stating you wouldn't be who you are without these memories of them. : )

    ReplyDelete